Tuesday, May 21, 2013

911 hair emergency!!

My one true creative love is the hair business.  It has been 25 years this July since I first picked up those shears.  It was an instant love affair.  And I am not someone that can sorta get into something- I get consumed by it.  I spent so many blissful afternoons pouring over fashion magazines and learning everything about the "rock stars" of the hair world.  I went to work for manufacturers as what the industry calls a "Platform Artist".  I wanted to be a hair world rock star!  I wanted to work on famous people on movie and video sets.  That was my life for a few years.  I one day realized that it was the one on one that did it for me.  The intimate little setting were we dish details about our lives, I make them look pretty, they feel fabulous and then the look in that mirror and say I LOVE IT!!! They hug me and pay me usually more than I charge.  What's not to love?

Then there are the times when said woman goes home, work, lunch with her friends (insert not nice person here) and someone says something like, "It makes you look older".  It depends on how much value is placed on that one opinion as to whether or not I get a phone call that sounds a lot like a 911 emergency.  It has always bewildered me that a beautiful woman would worry about what someone else thinks of her hair more than how she herself feels about it.  Try as I might to convince her that I might know more about beauty and fashion than the jerk that works in the IT department, she will make that change.

The Ah-Ha.

Recently,  I had an artist express to me her opinion about me, my art and me as an artist.  None of it positive.  I didn't take her words to heart but only because she is not the type of person who's opinion of me or my work (good or bad) would affect me.  Well if I'm being honest, It was a rough 15 minutes and then Game of Thrones distracted me. (insert giggle)   

All kidding aside....That got me thinking.....What if she had been the type of person/artist who's opinion of me mattered??  I then finally understood the lady and her hair!

Then that got me thinking.....there are no less than 50 new people per show that go on and on about how much they love your work.  Some express that love by purchasing it.  And you just say, "Thank You!!" and you  ponder it no longer.  You don't ask why.  You don't call your friends and say, "You are not going to believe this, someone just said they LOVE my work!".

However, you get one comment like "That looks sorta like finger paint" and you will spend the next few days obsessing over it.  Just like the lady with the new hair who probably got 20 compliments prior to the bad..... it's the one negative comment gets the front page.

We are funny little creatures.   

I, for one, can't wait until the next time I get that 911 hair emergency...."my friend told me my hair cut makes me look fat!"....I am going to give her the GPS address to the nearest glass of wine and we are going to make a list of at least 20 things about her that are beautiful- starting with her new haircut.







No comments:

Post a Comment