Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What is a Barn Sale, anyway??

Wow!  What a summer it has been!  After my 10 day vacation to the Pacific Northwest (ummm heaven!) and my 6 day trip for my sister's wedding in the DC area,  I have rarely been seen outside of my studio.


I had some new things to make for something that I was to participate in called Barn Sales.  I spent a few months gathering up a tent, walls, counters for retail, doing some sewing projects and painting furniture- just getting my crafty on.


In the fall of last year, I was introduced to the concept of barn sales.  At first I thought, "Isn't that just a highfalutin' yard sale?  Or, isn't that just an outside antique mall- with their booths full of old yard sale junk?  


I have since found that it is certainly not the case and it is a perfect way to spend a Saturday.  Who doesn't love to stroll through an old barn, smelling the hay and scouring super cool and low priced previously owned luxury items, DIY projects and orginal art?  Not to mention the barbecue, kettle corn, horse rides and homemade ice cream!  What's for sale: Mostly old, but some new, furniture and accessories.  Styles include French country, mid-century modern, cottage and industrial chic.  Anything that can be stitched up- Cowgirl clothes, clothes for children, pillows, hair pretties,  handbags, lamp shades.....just to name a few.  My booth was full of art and repurposed materials made into art, and painted furniture.  A portion of the sales generally benefit a local charity and the owners of the properties stand in awe of the transformation.  The two sales that I have participated in had more vendors that I could count and each location was overwhelmingly full of talented people.  Saving the world one repurposed, vintage junk buy at a time.




I could go on and on about what I made, what I sold and the gals that I met and what they made and sold.  But, I do these barn sales for one reason and one reason only-  Christy Donoho of The Strawberry Patch.  She hosts her own barn sale in Lafayette, TN and it is quite the event!  If Christy Donoho is not participating in a barn sale event...then Miss Kellie Montana ain't a goin either!   Christy is quite frankly the most pleasant, driven, talented, visionary, stickler for detail and quality- super fun chick all rolled up into this beautiful package!  She is absolutely committed to the vintage, repurposed philosophy that is the Indie Craft Movement.  She is more fun that a box of puppies and just as adorable.  She can whip around a vehicle with a trailer on it like it is a skateboard.  She is strong as an ox and I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a refrigerator on her back!  All while wearing the cutest outfit that somebody whipped up in their kitchen!  She is an incredible mom and friend and handles life's adversity with grace.  Working with her and showing my work with her elevates mine to a whole new level.  I don't think I respect anyone more.  I love the grand adventure that we are one!


So, even though I met so many spectacular folks with this barn sale experience...It nice to have a chance to spend some more time with my fellow crafty cowgirl!







       

1 comment: