Thursday, August 15, 2013

Disply Display Display

It's been several years now of doing shows- Indoor fine art, covered barn sales and outdoor festivals.

Every season, I start a list of all the things I am going to to with my tent, walls and display merchandise.  And every show I feel guilty about all the things I didn't do.  Most of the vendors I show with (especially at barn sales) come in and build a house!  It looks so beautiful but requires them to come in days earlier for set up and I am sure it requires quite a bit of storage for all of those props.  One time, a show gave me 2 hours to set up and now that has become my standard.

I have decided this season to finish my display ideas before I do the art.  My boss is a meanie!;)
I try to stick with a set up that will fit in my vehicle, only require my own muscles to set up can be stored in a small space and better yet- double as shelving in my studio.  I am also a country girl living an urban life with a personal philosophy of minimal living.  My motto is, "If it's not useful or beautiful" it can't take up any real estate in my world.   So.... I am thinking rustic with simple design.

OPERATION: Knock your socks off with my display that fits in my Lexus and I can set up in less than 2 hours

First up..... Mini Montana's
Very popular at shows....Fine art originals in a teeny tiny format 
Problem- I display them in a bucket
Solution- Quilt rack, frame and beadboard 
Bonus- I get to use all my power tools

Found this quilt rack at a thrift shop.  I can take the feet off and it can lay super flat!
I filled a frame I had laying around with beadboard
My walls are going to be made out of lightweight wainscoting (beadboard) and painted dark to give the artwork a POP.   I thought my little displays should look the same.  I love me some Chalk Paint®, a decorative paint by Annie Sloan.  I used Graphite for the depth and also Coco and Old White to layer it.  The frame is painted French Linen, Provence and Pure White.  I used raw canvas cut into strips to slip through the hangers on the back of the frame and it just slips over the top of the rack.

Better bonus...it will sit right on on of my folding tables with plenty of room for baskets full of mini's!!
Next...THE WALLS!

1 comment:

  1. You are so talented! What a great idea!
    Thanks for sharing your talent and ideas with all of us!

    ReplyDelete