Thursday, February 13, 2014

Perspective

It appears that 2014 is going to be a year about getting a real grasp on perspective.  As an artist, usually that pertains to making sure the composition, subject matter or color scheme "read right".  All depending on what your goal is in the finished result is what your definition of "reading right" is.  For me and my work, I like things a bit "wonkie".

A lot like life, actually.

I spent the last weekend at a writing retreat.  I didn't go to do any writing but to explore options of doing some artists development projects.  I don't really know where my heart is on teaching but I know I do have a heart for it.  Whether it is in a "hold in your hand book", ebook or workshop the jury is still out on.  I really discovered while there what a big thing is and what a little thing is.  And not in that "someone always has it worse" way but in the "if a little thing bothers you- dig deep for the big thing behind it" sort of way.

My recent feature in "Where Women Create" required me to get down and dirty with my creative journey.  In the way that I had to write an 800 word creative journey story.  It was something that I hadn't given much thought much less write down.  I must say....if you have never actually verbalized why you do what you do, I highly recommend it.  It is a journey worth taking.

I have spent the last week really incubating all of the things that I learned, the people I met and the way that it has made me feel.  I have a big deadline to meet so, I thought I would use this week to dump out my brain all of those thoughts by making some little things.  Nothing that would stretch me in any way.....just keep my hands in it.

I have been experimenting with some of my images that are licensed by using them in different ways.  One of the ways is to make some jewelry using bezel trays with glass cabochons.  An artist I met in December was kind enough to share some of her supply resources.  And trying new things is fun.

When I got all finished with them, they seemed big....Big as in size.  Just a 1x2 but they seemed much larger.  I wore one all day and decided that it was just seeing the image in another way that was tripping me up.  I put them away and resisted the urge to throw them away.  A common urge when I step WAY out of my comfort zone.

The company that I license my work to, Creative Coop, sends me samples of every product they make.  Today... my shipment of the latest release came in.  It just so happens that 2 of the images that I made into a necklace with were made into signs....BIG BIG signs.

And there it was......"MY" lesson.  And it was my favorite way to learn.  A visual lesson.  All of a sudden my necklaces looked so very perfect, purposeful and so ME.   Just like my journey.  Little things masquerading as big things and vise versa.  I had to see something big to make it small.  Huh?!  Yeah.....that's how my brain works!

a "little" Perspective...

Hello Teacher....I shall name you Biggie-Smalls



No comments:

Post a Comment