Monday, June 16, 2014

Take a chance

I used to be an art snob.

When I was first approached to do a barn sale, my first thought was, "absolutely not!!"!  It seemed like a complete waste of time.  I was quite concerned with street cred back then and it seemed like a glorified yard sale to me.  My boyfriend talked me into it because he was a friend of the event planners' husband and thought it would be fun.  And fun it was!  It also helped me see how elitist I could be about what an artist was.  I am now a supporter of women who step out there and make something happen in their life and I like to show that support by taking a chance with them.  And that is how I got started doing barn sales.

I found out that art doesn't sell well at barn sales but I still wanted to participate in them.  So, I took a crafty approach and started doing signs and animals.  Things I could make more affordable.  Crazy enough......that work is what got me my licensing deal and featured in Where Women Create.  I went to Seaside, Fl on vacation last week.   The friend I was with took me into a gift shop she loves and picked up a journal and said, "See....I think your work would sell so well in here.  Stuff like this journal"  Turns out- That WAS my journal.  One of my licensed images was on it and it was an image from that first barn sale.  Life is funny, Huh?  Ask me now if care about street cred anymore?!

The day after I came back from that vacation, I had a barn sale to participate in.  I almost bailed on it and stayed in Florida a few more days.  It came down to honoring my commitment so I came home, packed up my wares and grumbled all the way.

Burn-out on shows was mostly to blame.

Boy am I glad I didn't bail....

I reconnected with someone that I met at that very first barn sale and I show with her a lot.  She is unique in that she is a New Yorker living a country life in a small town.  I am a southern girl with an out of control mouth and an opinion about everything!  I don't always rub people the right way but Judy (being a yankee;)) appreciated my candor and we clicked from the beginning.  At first, it was about us being artists and our love of homemade strawberry wine (which her husband, Danny Jo makes a delicious blend).  It has evolved into a heart friendship.  She has always been able to see my heart and believe in and love me.  Kellie Montana- the woman separate from the artist.  That isn't that unique in my life but in the circle Judy and I are in- it is.  I never had to do anything to earn her love and I am not ever in jeopardy of losing it.  When I am with Judy, it's just two women talking about our life experiences in an honest way.  We talk about how grief has changed us.  I feel uplifted, stronger, beautiful, peaceful, loved and like I literally can take on the entire world.  She motivates me.  She recently lost her son tragically so for her to make me feel powerful in a short visit is a testimony to how strong and joyful she is.  To walk in her booth and see all that labor through grief was very moving.  Most people would still be in the bed and what I saw was her best work.

There is an Elton John song that I love so much and it always reminds me of my remarkable circle of women friends.  I particularly feels true when I think about my friendship with Judy.  In Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters there is a verse I love,

"Until you've seen this trash can dream come true,
You stand at the edge, while people run you through.
And I thank the Lord, there's people out there like you,
I thank the Lord there are people out there like you."

And to top off the visit, she brought me a present.  Something she had that she said reminded her of me every time she looked at it.  Even the way she gives a gift is precious.  She looks you right in the eye and tells you what you mean to her.  It is really a powerful thing when women take care of one another.

And take a chance on one another....




Here is my sweet present....
She said I was a little "bucking bronco"
    I bought one of her pieces and I so love it.  It will remind me of life's ever turning paths.

I put both of them by my desk and when I see it I will think "I thank the Lord there are people out there like you"
I would love for you to head on over the her FB page and give her page a like 



No comments:

Post a Comment