Sunday, June 10, 2012

We like it "as is"

People ask me all the time, "What does your house look like?"  I think people assume that it is FILLED with junk and art.  Summer is a slower season for me so I take advantage of that and get a few projects done around the homestead!

Most people know me as a transformer.  Once I am done with something, it rarely is recognizable.  Funny enough, in my personal surroundings I don't transform much.  I generally buy things exactly the way I want it.  Another surprise would be that I don't really keep a lot of furnishings around me.  For all the junk that is piled around my creative spaces, home is a place where everything is useful, beautiful or sentimental.


My boyfriend, Rick, and I are born just a couple of weeks apart and we are both left handed Libras.  That makes so many aspects of our personalities similar when it comes to what home means to us.  We have a love of tradition but we want it to speak to our personalities too.  Our home is where we rest, shut out the world and plan our adventures.  We keep what we need and only what we love.  Another surprise would be that I keep very few clothes and shoes.  If it doesn't fit me right now and fit me well, it goes to goodwill.  I change my wardrobe out completely every season.  I have 3 handbags and maybe 15 pairs of shoes.  My costume jewelry is a bit of a hoarding situation but so is Rick's little box collection.  So, we are even;).  If we disappear one day....we have bought an airstream and hit the open road!  So staying minimal will allow us to travel light and leave at night!

It was an easy task to mix our tastes when we moved in together.  We both like a mixture of warm old wood, small industrial details, colorful fabrics and artwork.  Rick has a love for black and white photography and I love the look of it next to worn wood.  When we choose paint and linen colors, blue had to grow on me (all boys favorite color) but I have to say, it made me really embrace grey and how it makes the tones of natural wood pop.

My Sunday project:

I needed just a tiny night stand.  I don't spend much time in the bed so I just needed something small to sit coffee on.  Probably there will only be a glass there when I am sick!  I like the clean look of the bedroom now and didn't want anything that really stood out.
I found a small metal filing cabinet that was the perfect size.  Turns out it will hold a ton of things and takes up no space~
I really like the way this looked as is.  I attempted to copy the look with paint and wax.  I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite, a CoCo colored wax, Old White for the hardware and finished it with dark wax.  
VIOLA!..........This is deep enough to hold files and books I plan to read!
 
New summer coverlet from C'est Moi....super lush!
subtle manipulation;)

Here is a mix of our tastes.  Mixed media modern art, antique ice chest converted to a bar, industrial table flea market find, black and whie lithographs, acrylic and metal barstool, antique Danish chair complete with a little office nook.





Antique ice chest transformation into a bar!  We found some great LED light tape to put inside the bar with no damage to the piece

I LURVE modern chairs with old tables!


1 comment:

  1. Very cool pad. Love the mix of old and new. Enjoy your artwork too ~ perhaps I will be able to take a class with you one day seeing as I live close by!

    ReplyDelete